General Post Office
O'Connell Street, Dublin Route Planner
The Green Guide

Useful information

Opening hours

10am-5.30pm, Sun noon-5.30pm, last admission 4.30pm


The General Post Office building and its Ionic portico were built from 1815 to 1818 by Francis Johnston. It occupies a block of houses at the junction of O'Connell Street and Henry Street. It was the headquarters of the rebels during the 1916 Easter Rising, when it was set on fire. Inside, a series of paintings bear witness to these events and a bronze statue depicts the dying Cú Chulainn, a mythological Celtic hero and symbol of resistance for the Irish people.


  • Route from this place
  • Directions to this place
  • Route via this place
  • Nearby hotels
  • Nearby restaurants

Things to see and donearby

Where to sleepnearby

Where to eatnearby

  • 479 m - Temple Bar Square, Dublin 1
  • From€57
    MICHELIN 2021
    499 m - 38 Parnell Square West, Dublin D1
  • From €50 to €120
    MICHELIN 2021
    601 m - The Dublin Writers Museum, 18-19 Parnell Square, Dublin D1